“I received compensation from Dr. Scholl’s® to write this post. All opinions are entirely my own.”
Let’s get cliché for a minute: ‘Every year the women of New York leave the past behind and look forward to the future… this is known as fashion week’. And since fashion is my religion and September through December are my favorite months, this is my (and every other fashion lover in the universe) time to be alive! So let’s talk about what is going to get us through this stylish week, since it might be a few things you wouldn’t expect! In true form of sticking with my stylish motherhood mantra, in that you can have it all, I’m going to tell you how to be chic and comfortable.
- That one staple piece you are most excited about this season: Whether it’s a new bag, the ‘it’ sunglasses that make you feel amazing, or a statement piece of jewelry, break it out and own it. This year for me, it’s a coveted pair of sunglasses. After losing approximately 800 pairs of sunglasses and not allowing myself to buy any for about 5 years, I fell in love with a pair and needed them to help my mom eyes.
- Outfits outside your comfort zone: This doesn’t mean go all out and try too hard. Just wear that one item or complete outfit that you have loved, but were too scared to wear in your own hometown. Or mix two of your favorite items, and since you already own them and know how to rock them, you will feel comfortable in them. Now is the time to wear one chic trend, not ALL the trends at once. If you are too trendy or cutesy, you will stand out, but not in the good and creative way. Less is more here, and I rarely think that!
- Shoes: You need one pair of heels since they make every outfit chic. But since NYFW will destroy your feet and your soles, pick a fabulous heel and then find yourself some amazing flats. I’m all about elevated and embellished loafers, my bow flats that will die with me, and 1/2 inch mules, all which will be comfortable and great looking! This year, I’m bringing my nude pumps with me since they will go with all colors and I can just throw them on for a dinner or wandering around town.
- Shoe insoles: This is how we survive life with heels. Get Dr. Scholl’s Stylish Step™ High Heel Relief and Stylish Step™ Heel Liners. I make sure to have these on hand for all my shoes, so that I have some padding built into my favorite heels. These are available at Target in the healthcare aisle near the pharmacy, you can’t miss them! Right now Target is offering a Cartwheel promotion for Stylish Step™, find out more here. They will provide you with all day comfort so you can wear the shoes you want longer, and not have to stop because your feet hurt. Seriously, it’s the worst, you want to get everywhere fast and walk the streets while looking amazing!
- Back up phone charger: Your phone will die. Many times. So avoid having to plug into the wall at a grocery store (been there done that!) and miss out on precious city time!
- Snacks: There is no time to eat in the land of fashion! Just kidding. Kind of. But just in case you’d rather squeeze everything in, throw some snacks in your bag. I prefer easy, on-the go, but won’t make you feel heavy like a granola bar, protein bar, and some almonds.
- Phone hotspot: this is optional, but can help when service if iffy. Or at least make sure your service provider will have a strong signal in the city. Most of your time will be spent on your phone because of using google maps, GPS radar to organize your day and shows, social media to post, writing your friends who might also be there, and being able to call people to meet up with them.
These are literally the bare essentials because this is a whirlwind week and you don’t want to have a million things to worry about. This is about being able to be the most accessible so you can fully enjoy all things fashion in the greatest city in the world. Let’s recap: grab your most proud and exciting fashion item, don’t torture your feet, take care of them and make sure they are at their best because that is what is going to get you everywhere, don’t faint from lack of food, and don’t go back to 1995 and be without a phone!
That should cover it, I hope to see you in New York!